Yummy and so easy prepare. Serve it with a simple steak and you have a great dinner.
Simple creamed spinach
yields 4-6 servings
1 1/2 pounds spinach
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 of a small onion finely chopped
4 tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
sprinkle of nutmeg optional
Parmesan cheese and chives for garnish (optional)
1. Heat about 1 inch of water in a large pot
2. Add the spinach cook and stir until wilted. This should only take a minute or two.
3. Drain the spinach in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle
4. Squeeze out the excess water and chop the spinach. Set it aside.
5. Heat the milk and cream in a small saucepan until warm.
While the milk is heating,
6. Cook the onion in the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until soft (about 4 minutes).
7. Stir in the flour and cook a minute more.
8. Add the warm milk, whisking and cooking until thickened ( two to three minutes)
9. Stir in the chopped spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
10.Stir to heat the spinach through then serve.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese and chives if desired.