|butter just freshly made|
Making your own butter is so easy and yummy too. All you need is cream, and a way to keep the cream moving (plus a little salt if you like salted butter).
To make your own butter
1. warm the cream at room temp for a while (15 minutes or so)
2. Aggitate. There are many ways to do this. The simplest is to put the cream in a jar and shake, shake, shake. The other day I let my kids put the jar in the wagon and run through the backyard, bump, bump, bump. I prefer to use my Kitchen-aid mixer with the paddle attachment. You can also use a food processer.
3. The cream will get thick creamy and fluffy. (about 20 minutes depending on how vigorius you are with mixing) Then it will start to look curdled. All of a sudden it will separate from the buttermilk.When that happens mix a bit more until it comes together in a mass.
4. Strain out the butter from the buttermilk.
5. stir salt into the butter if you like. I use about 1/4 teaspoon per cup of cream started with.
Now it is ready to use.
As a bonus you get buttermilk to use
you can read my recipe for buttermilk syrup here
this post is linked @ carnival of home preserving