Grilled shrimp, there is nothing like it. They are so wonderful and so easy to make. We grilled some shrimp and made a quick and easy dinner that was a hit with all of us but my son who doesn't care for seafood so much.
QUICK AND EASY GRILLED SHRIMP
1 to 1 1/2 pounds of raw shrimp deveined with the shells on
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 Tablespoons apricot jam
1 clove of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon Mustard of your choice
1. Whisk the marinade ingredients together
2. Pour the marinade over 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of shell on shrimp (deveined but with the shell still on)
3. Let the shrimp marinate for 10-30 minutes (depending on the size).
For a quick reference on shrimp size check out this Shrimp size chart.
4. Preheat the grill
5. While the grill is heating skewer the shrimp in preparation for grilling
I love a nice flat metal skewer for this job. The round skewers tend to let the shrimp twirl on the skewer and it makes them hard to turn on the BBQ. Mr Barbeque himself, Steven Raichlen has designed some great metal skewers. Check them out.
Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue 3/8-inch Wide Signature Stainless Steel Grilling Kabob Skewers (Set of 6) - SR8025
(If you don't have flat metal skewers you can use a pair of bamboo skewers and slide them in side by side). This helps so you can turn the shrimp easier.
6. Scrape the grill, or brush with a grill brush like this one,
Charcoal Companion Compact Rosewood Handle Grill Brush
7. Once the grill is scraped or brushed, take a little vegetable oil on a wad of paper towels and run it across the grates (this helps ensure the shrimp won't stick)
8. Lay the shrimp on the grill and cook 2-3 minutes for small shrimp (51-60)
or for larger Jumbo shrimp (21-25) 4-6 minutes.
Color determines doneness. When they turn pink and there is no sign of grey they are done. They really do cook quick, do not leave the grill.
9. Serve them up right away.
|notice the shrimp are turning pink|