Wednesday, May 30, 2012
stuffed bell peppers
I grew up with bell peppers stuffed with meatloaf. That is what I thought a stuffed pepper was. As I got older many of the stuffed pepper recipes I saw used a rice filling. I did not care for the bland rice fillings, and the greasy old meatloaf fillings that I grew up with had to go. This recipe is really yummy and is one that I think we will make often.
Stuffed bell peppers
You will need.
3 large bell peppers
4 ounces ground sausage
3 cloves garlic
8 ounces white button mushrooms
1 bunch of green onions
1 box rice a roni (beef flavor)
salt and pepper
six slices cheese (optional)
1.cook the rice a roni according to the package directions I use 1/2 the butter called for.
2.Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds
place in the microwave covered with a damp paper towel and cook until tender about 8 minutes
while those cook start the filling
3. brown the sausage in a skillet
4. finely chop the mushrooms. I used a food processor.
5. finely chop the garlic
6. add the mushrooms and garlic to the sauage and cook over a medium heat about 10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the mix is dried out and browning a bit.
7. mix the cooked rice and chopped green onions with the mushroom mixture.
8. Taste, add pepper and more salt if desired.
9. Spoon the mixture into the precooked peppers
10. top with cheese
11. Bake in a 375 oven until hot through and bubbly about 15 minutes
This post is linked up @ full plate thursdays