Sunday, May 27, 2012
easy homemade mac and cheese
Quick and easy homemade mac and cheese
1. Bring two quarts (4 cups) of salted water to a boil. (about 2 tsp salt)
2. Add 2 cups elbow macaroni
3. Cook until soft (about 7-8 min)
4.while the noodles cook prepare the sauce fixings
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp or less mustard powder. just a bit.This adds a nice flavor that is essential to the recipe, but to much gets strong.
3/4 -1 cup grated cheese
1 Tbsp butter
5. When the noodles are cooked, drain the noodles and add them back to the pan
6. Stir in the butter
7. Add the milk mixed with the flour and spices
8. Cook and stir about a minute to thicken the sauce
9. Stir in the cheese
At our house we always add frozen vegetables to cool food down. The kids think that every bowl of hot food should have frozen veggies added.This particular day we used frozen peas and carrots and threw in some leftover ham.
You will never want to go back to that yellow stuff in a box.